Re: Oiled Digital Neg + Cyanotype = Simplest Method For A Beginner ?!? [ HELP! :)]

From: jamesromeo ^lt;jamesromeo@mac.com>
Date: 02/12/04-04:33:17 PM Z

What is the best type of paraffin to use ??? do you have to heat it to oil
the print.??
I have used linseed oil got a few good brown prints but the linseed neg does
not keep well.
Thanks
James

Hi Paresh, I'm not sure of where you'd find info on oiling paper negatives
apart from here. It's an easy process. I use an inkjet printer and have now
got this working well....it's just a matter of adjusting your negative to
the process. Just ask on the list for more info on cyan, I'm not sure but I
think a slightly more contrasty neg (than for conventional silver) suits
cyan better.

Printing: I've corrected where necessary.....

1. Choose my image...

2. Change its size to desirable output[say 8'x10' @ 300 dpi]...

now.....tweak the contrast using curves if necessary.......others know more
about this than I do.

3. Turn-it to monochrome [black monochrome OR B/W]...

4. Invert it [neg effect]...

5. Print as colour....gives more ink coverage - 3 colours rather than
just black

6. Oil the print [which is the best oil to do this ?]...paraffin oil
is best but any cooking oil will do, just has a tendency to go rancid with
age

7. Insert it in a clear-thin plastic cover/bag...only if you want to!

8. Make contact-print...

Voila!

For good info on cyanotypes, go to www.cyanotypes.com
<http://www.cyanotypes.com> which has the instructions...also available
there are instructions for many more alt. processes.

Happy printing!

Kate