RE: Spotting Alt Prints

From: Eric Neilsen ^lt;e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net>
Date: 02/14/04-08:55:26 AM Z

Don, I put some amounts of pigment on a plate that can be used to blend to a
particular type print; platinum/palladium, silver gelatin - toned, untoned,
etc. So I end up with several plates or palettes to work with. Using a
brush that is lightly wetted, I use a small portion of the plate to blend
for each area of the print. Test the blend on a piece of paper from the
edges of the print or another just like it and fill it in; working from the
dry side to avoid pigment running or halos. I also use a bit of Ox Gall to
help with penetration. This is put in the middle of the plate in an amount
of several drops. This seems to allow me to work dry but get the color to
get into the paper.

Each plate gets colors and medium that work well the intended print.
Platinum family prints are spotted with non fugitive watercolors. Silvers
with spot tone. Chrysotype with a different family of water colors due to
the somewhat wild colors compared to platinum/palladium.

After several spotting session I may need to wipe the plate of blended areas
and leave my large blobs to start the blending anew.

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street
Suite 9
Dallas, TX 75226