Re: need advice on gum coating

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@bellsouth.net>
Date: 02/15/04-08:47:43 AM Z

Charles, Judy, Dave, Kate, et al,
     I agree with all said (so that must make it gospel--just kidding!), and
I bet your coating is too thick, or that you are continuing to brush too
long. The brushing should be completed quickly within maybe 45 seconds or
else you'll streak it, but even if you do, it doesn't much appear in the
print in areas of detail. Skies are another story, but as Dave says, so
what--it adds to the character.

     Judy, I must revisit the foam applicator...I found it abraded the
paper, aside from the fact that it put my teeth on edge with its noise and
"drag". But after your description, below, I think I'll give it another go.

     As one "old book" says, if the coating streaks, it is either too thick
or too thin--the latter, when if follows the brush in "waves", the former
when it stands in ridges. When my coat goes on even it initially streaks
and then spreads out evenly without touching. Otherwise I must coax it
along as in the flick flick technique described below.
Chris