Chrome alum sizing, was Re: sizing with glyoxal

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 02/15/04-09:42:14 AM Z

Chris,

Actually I size my papers with chrome alum by brush coating, not with
tray soaking.

Never had any problem with residual blue color, or with streaking
doing this. I use about a 3-5% gelatin solution and about 2g of
chrome alum per 1000ml of solution. But I don't add the chrome alum
directly to gelatin solution. Rather, I first mix it with about 150ml
of warm water and dissolve it completely. Then I add the chrome alum
solution, very slowly and with constant stirring, to the gelatin
solution.

Sandy