Re: Polymer Plate 80% screen Weirdness

From: Jon Lybrook ^lt;jon@terabear.com>
Date: 02/17/04-01:48:23 AM Z

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Judy Seigel wrote:
> For the record, I don't think baby powder or any body powder for that
> matter, has talc in it any more -- probably some kind of starch -- since
> it was determined that talc causes something from breathing it, like
> cancer or other lung rot.

Oh, gross. A friend of mine suggested getting it from an equestrian
store. He said they used to use it on his ranch to keep horses from
getting chaffed from the saddle during the summer.

> However, about that mat with the little whatever they are -- nipples? --
> on the rubber base. I discovered that in many cases for reasons I could
> never figure out (static?, magnetism? pressure? whatever,) they were
> leaving a recognizable pattern on negatives -- that is, my NuArc was
> putting that pattern on negatives that had been made in a different vacuum
> frame. I bought a sheet of heavy black vinyl, mat surface, with fabric
> backing, enough for both vacuum frames and plenty left over that I've used
> for all sorts of things since then, cost about $8.

This sounds like a great suggestion. I was getting a little concerned
about the impressions on my screen and transparencies from the
rubber 'blanket' as well.

> similar to my vinyl for about $40. I got mine at the rubber store on
> Canal Street.

What city?

Best wishes,
Jon