Re: Calculating Scan Size OT

From: Phillip Murphy ^lt;pmurf@bellsouth.net>
Date: 02/21/04-04:03:19 AM Z

MrSid (Multi-resolution Seamless Image Database) is
a standard format for Aerial and Satellite imagery.
It is licensed to Lizardtech from Los Alamos National
Laboratory. This is the same technology that is used in
the FBI's fingerprint image library.

When checking their site last night, I discovered that,
unfortunately, the MrSid Photoshop plug-in is
no longer available and you can only purchase it bundled
with some very expensive aerial or satellite mapping
software. I'm guessing that when Lizardtech acquired
Genuine Fractals their marketing group decided to
promote it for graphic arts rather than MrSid... go figure.

You're right, Genuine Fractals does have it's 8-bit
limitation. However, it can encode lossless or
visually-lossless.

Perhaps something to explore would be Jpeg2000.
An iteration of it appears in Photoshop CS.
It can encode a lossless file from a 16-bit image.
There are a number of plug-ins for Photoshop
that use Jpeg2000. I haven't looked into it enough
to understand which implementation is best.

Has anyone on the list used this format yet?
It claims to have a 5:1 lossless compression ratio.

-Phillip