Re: FW: UV blocker in TMAX100 base?

From: Dr. Bruce E. Kahn ^lt;bkahn@mail.isc.rit.edu>
Date: 02/23/04-05:55:25 PM Z

At 08:49 AM 2/23/2004, you wrote:

>In testing TMAX 100 film I have come across a curious phenomenon. It is
>the fact that when reading UV density with my densitometer (which reads in
>a fairly narrow band around 373nm) there appears to be a base UV blocker
>of a little more than log 1.0.
>
>I am wondering if any on the list are currently using TMAX 100 for
>alternative printing in which exposures are by UV light, and if so have
>you noticed any difference in printing times between TMAX 100 and other films.
>
>So far TMAX 100 is the only film I have tested that has this kind of UV
>blocking in the base.

Sandy, you are correct that T-Max appears to have a UV absorber in it.

I am currently teaching a course on 19th Century photographic process. A
graduate student noticed some interesting differences between different
negatives (T-Max and Ilford FP-4). I did some quick absorbance
measurements for some of the materials that students were printing using a
spectrophotometer. I have posted some of this data at
<http://www.rit.edu/~bekpph/historic/films.jpg>. As you can see, T-Max
absorbs UV from ~ 320-410 nm. There is a fairly narrow UV transmission
window at about 320 nm.

Bruce E. Kahn, Ph.D.
Imaging and Photographic Technology,
Materials Science and Engineering