Re: preserver for gum

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@bellsouth.net>
Date: 02/26/04-07:07:57 PM Z

Juan,
     You will know right away if your gum goes sour; it'll smell like a
combination of throw up and egg farts. It still works just fine, although
the increased acidity will make it thinner and increase insolubility without
exposure. I used my sour gums until I couldn't stand the smell any
longer; then I dumped them and used preservatives from then on. Rule of
thumb: if you're gagging, they gotta go.
      Preservative choices and amounts:
Several drops of formaldehyde per oz. gum

Several drops of 2% solution of methylparaben (2g in 100ml water)

0.25% solution of sodium benzoate (1g in 400ml water)

Thymol in isopropyl alcohol (100% alcohol, 1g thymol to 1 cc of alcohol)

Carbolic acid 1 drop per oz. gum

etc. etc.

I personally use sodium benzoate; I use 2 g for every 100g powdered gum I
mix up. That is stronger than the proportion above. I mix my gums 1+2 or
1+3. Works great.

Chris