RE: For those who are interested in making digital negatives using pigmented inksets

From: Loris Medici ^lt;loris_medici@yahoo.com>
Date: 01/02/04-12:07:10 PM Z

I don't have a Stouffer 21-step wedge so I cannot help about that. The
reflective Dmax of my B&W inkjet prints with these inks is 1.59 on both
the papers I use (Epson Enhanced Matte and Hahnemuehle Photo Rag
188gsm). I don't have a densitometer also, but I know a photographer who
does have it and I go to him from time to time when I need readings (he
helped me a lot when I was trying to build a curve to print with
Piezography plugin - I settled on Jeff Randall's RGB workflow later,
because my printer was banding unacceptably with the Piezo plugin). Will
post the Dmax of my negatives as soon as I visit him - but his
densitometer is a simple B&W model (Heiland TR2?); he cannot make UV
readings, so I'm not sure how much useful will this report in terms of
alt. process printing.

All I can say is that; the UV blocking ability of my negatives should be
quite high as I print Van Dykes with clean highlights and open - not
murky - shadows around 8 - 10 mins. under 10 x 40 Watts 24" Philips
Actinic 05 (equivalent to BL in terms of spectrum) tubes - with electric
ballast - placed exactly 3" above my contact print frame's glass (it's a
standard 8x10" B&S frame). Tubes are as close as 1/8" to each other. I
think 8 - 10 mins. is a considerable exposure - comparing Sandy's 5
mins. exposure test with half the power 20 Watts Sylvania BL tubes which
showed 17 steps (see
http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Light/L2/l2.html), this makes around 2
stops exposure difference.

Regards,