Re: silvery sheen & fisheyes

From: Clay Harmon ^lt;wcharmon@wt.net>
Date: 01/08/04-03:01:02 PM Z

  May I throw out the entirely untested theory that perhaps this is less
related to heat than to the depth of penetration of the sensitizer? In
fact, I HAVE had silvering in the shadow areas of VDB prints that have
not been heat dried, but they were prints from very contrasty negs in
which the shadow areas received a great deal of exposure. Is it
possible that heat drying just prevents the sensitizer from soaking
deeply enough into the paper fibers because it 'locks' it down before
it has a chance to penetrate into the fibers?

This would make it a similar phenomena in both in cause and prevention
to the bronzing observed in palladium printing, which I am convinced is
due to a sensitizer volume that is too small (read thin) and an
exposure that is too large (which is why it is in the shadowed areas).

Clay