Re: humidity in your darkroom........

From: Ender100@aol.com
Date: 01/12/04-10:54:04 AM Z

Hi Judy,

I ordered my humidifier from Calumet Photo—it was the biggest one they make,
the Ansel Adams model, heavy duty enough even for doing outdoor landscapes....
heheheheh just kidding.

It's a Holmes humidifier and you can find them at Target, Home Depot, etc.
It even comes with a little Quasi-Hygrometer, but it doesn't display the
actual % Relative Humidity—just a comfort scale like from Nosebleed>Itchy Skin>Dry
Mouth>....I noticed when I get up around 60% it registers at the high end of
the "Comfort Zone".

I believe I paid about $70 for it and it is 9 gallon in capacity. Unlike
some of the cheaper models, it has a built in "humidistat" and you have about 10
settings—it will turn off when it reaches the level you have set. Or you
can put it on continuous High or Low settings... when coating I use the
continuous high setting.

This humidifier uses a fan to suck air through a water soaked filter. It
isn't the cold air misting type.

It has two water containers that you lift out and fill. It's quite easy to
clean and change the filter.

It will take the coating area from 20% humidity up to 60% relatively fast.

Consumer Reports ranks it at about -5 on the "Vicious Scale".

I thought Keith said he humidified his gums before he put his teeth in in the
morning....I'll go back and read that post again.

Hope that is helpful.

Mark Nelson