RE: Roller for gum (was: Re: humidity in your darkroom........

From: Keith Gerling ^lt;keith@gumphoto.com>
Date: 01/18/04-05:10:18 PM Z

I my experience, humidified paper: 1) has absolutely no effect on DMAX, and
2) greatly eases the coating process. In fact during winter months in
Illinois, where the humidity dips into negative territory (and the both
paper and human skin become dry, crackly, and draw moisture from anything
they touch) I find it to be essential. Otherwise, the the gum emulsion
will dry on one part of the print before the other side is even touched.
Even with humid paper, I sometimes have to resort to a few spritzes from a
squirt bottle in order to maintain consistency while I even out the
emulsion. Obviously, it is different in the summer, when I have to resort
to a hair dryer just to get the emulsion to dry the same day I coat it.
Such is life in the Midworst...

Keith