Re: I kid you not, here's a new alt process

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 01/18/04-09:40:20 PM Z

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> ... Ohhhh, except, Judy, I did find some stuff on
> varnishes. The word "soehnee" caught my eye...
> Chris

Did the "stuff" by any chance give the formula? When was it? If you have
the formula, I suppose you can name your price ! If not, literature of
the period often mentions Soehnee... I even find it in an early "materials
of the artists" book... They go so far as to say it's "a resin." Duh!

I know it's almost certainly mostly shellac because it's thinned with
alcohol. I assume, however, that it has some extra ingredients, because
....they wouldn't just bottle shellac, not even "French shellac" and sell
it under a brand name. Would they?

J.