Re: what is a collotype?

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@CLEMSON.EDU>
Date: 09/10/02-11:59:13 AM Z

I imagine you have access to Keepers of Light somewhere around
Houston, or maybe even in Tennessee. You will find there a short
introduction to the collotype.

Collotype printing was, along with photogravure very prized in past
decades for making top quality editions of photographic work. You can
actually get slightly better detail from a collotype than from a
photogravure print, though the Dmax of the photogravure is
potentially superior.

Does anyone know if there is any commercial collotype printing around
anymore? I know that Black Box in Chicago, which was once the premier
collotype press in this country, stopped making them quite a long
time back and donated two very large collotype presses to a
university in Arizona, Arizona State I believe.

Sandy