RE: OT Scales for weighing chemicals

From: Baird, Darryl ^lt;dbaird@umflint.edu>
Date: 01/20/04-08:09:52 PM Z

Mark,

I just purchased an addition scale (from a creep on ebay), an Ohaus
750 which is "capable" of 2610 grams, plus or minus 1 gram. Without
the "optiona;" additional weights, it can only measure 610 grams.
This is enough for all but a few formulas I do on a regular basis. I
grew tired of double or triple measuring heavy formulas with my
smaller elctronic scale. This is a triple (balance) beam style. The
"tare" is manual... meaning you have to adjust a small weight at the
side of the measuring platform to accomodate the weight of any cup,
paper, or container your using to actually hold the chemicals. I don't
like this, but it was pretty cheap -- used for $30.00. Some models
have a quicker, more immediate tare, but (of course) cost more.

My favorite and most useful scale (mentioned above) is an electronic
Ohaus 200. Nice big platform, easy to switch between grams and ounces,
a push of a button "tares" my container and I'm off to measuring, plus
or minus .1 gram. There is a slighter more robust model (320?), but I
needed much closer to the lb. level -- around 500 grams often enough
to finally decide to get the big boy scale. I still think, new 200
models are going pretty cheap on ebay.

-Darryl