Re: printing on vellum

From: Janet Neuhauser ^lt;jneuhauser@silverlink.net>
Date: 01/23/04-06:18:16 PM Z

My students have been printing out scanned negatives on cheap tracing vellum
from Office Depot and you are right, David, they do produce a softer image but
have been printing beautifully in Van Dyke. These are high school students and
very careless and never do anything the same way twice but they seem to be
getting good prints (from the vellum negatives) easier than from their on going
struggles with lith film. The vellum seems to cut down on the contrast problem
they have with the lith negs. Matting the prints on a high quality matt board
enhances that soft warm look. I studied platinum printing in the early
eighties at Pratt with Alan Newman when he was printing the Howes Brothers
negatives for the book New England Reflections. All done on tracing vellum
with beautiful results.

I don't know why printing on vellum would cause anyone disdain!! I would now
like to try some higher quality vellums, maybe a bit smoother than this one.
Do you have any recommendations?

Janet Neuhauser

By the way, we have had no luck at all making a color ink jet prints on the
vellum, although some of the screw ups have been intriguing. The color ink
doesn't want to soak into the paper which is odd because the black ink along
dries quickly and well. Why would that be?