RE: Silver chloride contact printing papers - AZO

From: David Foy ^lt;dfoy@privateaddress.net>
Date: 01/26/04-04:48:18 PM Z

A sufficiently great mass of silver chloride darkens when given a
sufficiently heavy exposure to light, as a consequence of the halide being
reduced by light to silver metal. Printing-out papers have a huge load of
silver, so they darken markedly compared to developing-out papers (which
darken faintly).

Silver halide crystals are much tinier than grains of developed silver. A
developer effectively "amplifies" an exposed halide crystal by binding
silver ions to it, yielding a grain of filamentary silver some 10 to the 7
power greater in mass than the original crystal.

POP image colors tend toward the reddish, because the undeveloped grains
making up the image are so fine they mess with the color of the light they
reflect, while developed images tend to be considerably darker, sometimes
quite black, due to their considerably greater coarseness.

David Foy