RE: Silver chloride contact printing papers - not AZO

From: Liam Lawless ^lt;liam.lawless@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: 01/28/04-07:56:05 PM Z

Richard,

One place that has instructions is Clerc, who says:

"Gelatino-bromide or gelatino-chloride development papers, which, for
one reason or another, have become unsuitable for their proper purpose,
may be converted into print-out papers by soaking them in a weak
solution of silver nitrate (about 0.5 oer cent) or in a solution of a
reducing substance such as sodium or potassium nitrite (about 5 per
cent), salts of hydrazine, various developers, sodium sulphite, stannous
chloride, etc.

"After soaking for some minutes, the paper is placed to dry in the dark
without any preliminary washing. The same treatment can be applied to
negative plates or films.

"The method of using is the same as for gelatine print-out papers."

Well, I tried once with 0.5% silver nitrate and (probably) a
chlorobromide paper. As I recall, the silver bath had no effect at all,
compared with an untreated sheet. As I understand these things, the
free silver nitrate permits much greater image densities from printing
out, by combining with the halogen liberated by light exposure of the
original silver halides to form more silver chloride or bromide as
printing proceeds. I'd hazard a guess that the problem is that the
original silver salts of the development paper just aren't sensitive
enough to UV, their speed in this respect (I guess) having been
determined by the emulsification process. Maybe develop-out papers were
different in Clerc's day, but it might be interesting for someone with
time on his (her?) hands to try again with a developer.

Liam