Re: Editioning and trying to make identical prints

From: steves ^lt;sgshiya@redshift.com>
Date: 07/02/04-03:06:21 PM Z

Less than trying to make prints identical, I'm so damn happy that I got one
the way I wanted, I simply make more.

With a successful mother as an artist, printmaker, I learned to number my
prints. If I go back and make more once the first edition sells out, I put
a decimal after the lower number to mark the edition, i.e. 1/5 and 1/5.2
etc.

Ansel editioned his prints according to the lower numbers being his choice
as the 'best' quality; and larger numbers that followed.

I number my prints, mostly based on the chronological order they were made.
Just for sentiment. If I loose track over the order they were made, I
choose the best and number them first. Sometimes, I group them in
portfolios in an order of consistency. I found my number four of five to be
the best, and put a higher price, graduting according to editions. In that
way, the less amount of portfolios available, the more valuable the once
sold would become. That was merely an incentive to the collector to make
their decision if they were hesitant. One more bauble to influence a buyers
choice.

S. Shapiro