RE: Drying Pt/Pd. prints

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 07/03/04-10:22:10 PM Z

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004, Eric Neilsen wrote:

> A processed print? It shouldn't and I can't say that I've ever see it have
> that effect. I have "force" dried many test pt/pd prints over the years and
> never needed to adjust the final print due to changes in Dmax or contrast.
> I can't see how it would. You might get a change in paper quality and
> unless you dried very hot, even the paper should remain unchanged.

I misunderstood Sandy's original question -- having read it casually, I
thought he was talking about drying a freshly *coated print,* not drying a
fully *processed print.* My small familiarity with platinum printing made
clear that heat drying after a certain (measured) time of air drying was
essential to good contrast in that medium.

But in other processes that I've tested (cyanotype, VDB, kallitype, gum),
heat drying the *freshly coated print* cost both D-max & contrast,
depending on how hot & how fresh.

Many printers seem not to know this, so the point bears making.

J.