Re: Editions

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 07/04/04-04:52:56 AM Z

A couple of comments:
(1) I agree with John: If a person can say this image is being printed
in an edition of 5, and then when that edition sells out make another
edition of 5 and another, then the word "edition" has no meaning
whatever. Buyers expect that 1/5 means 1/5, not 1/25. If you're going to
do editions, then it seems to me that whatever you decided in the
beginning was going to be the size of the edition, you should stick to;
if you're not going to do that you should just not pretend to be doing
editions. Otherwise the whole idea of limited editions is bankrupt.
Which, actually I think it is anyway, but that's more a philosophical
question than a practical one. I think the most cogent statement ever
made about editions for photographs is David Vestal's essay on the
subject.

(2) While I understand that some people do this thing of putting out
another edition in another size, I personally wouldn't do it, even if I
weren't making unique prints.

(3) The question was asked: is there a way of designating a print as
completely unique, that would be recognized to everyone as meaning that
only one print of that image will be made? I personally think 1/1 does
that, although even that apparently can be interpreted different ways.
One gallery owner, when I started showing work in her gallery, put 1/1
beside all my prints, and I asked her to take it off. She felt that the
1/1 designation was appropriate even if I made other prints from the
same negative, since I would never make two identical gum prints even
from the same negative. But to me, the 1/1 meant I was promising buyers
that I would never make another print of that set of negatives. While I
almost never make two prints of the same image, (only two of the
hundreds of prints I've sold are made from the same negatives as another
print) I want to keep that option open to me.

(3) I like (was it Kate's?) idea of 1 of 6 rather than 1/6 but don't
know whether buyers would understand it without explanation.

(4) I use the designation Title (II) very differently than Judy does: I
do this for a series, and the (I) (II) etc are different images in the
series, as in Fishing Boat Named Desire I, Fishing Boat Named Desire II,
etc.
Katharine Thayer