Re: Editioning and trying to make identical prints

From: Tom Ferguson ^lt;tomf2468@pipeline.com>
Date: 07/05/04-10:15:27 PM Z

I'm a little lost. I think you saying that on request you start a new
edition? So that if image "Moon and Tree" (made up name) in an edition
of 10 had been printed and sold 10 times, then on request you printed a
new edition of 1/10, 2/20, 3/10 (etc), and then a year latter someone
wanted another, larger, edition so you printed 1/20, 2/20, 3/20, (etc).
In that case (if I've understood) as a collector I would feel very
cheated. That is not dealing fairly with your buying public. There
being multiple, and nearly identical, copies of #5 in a limited
edition seems to be simply dishonest. But, I may have completely
misunderstood what you meant.

There are two "values" to a print in the collector world (like it or
not). The purely aesthetic and the monetary value. Do I enjoy the Brett
Weston under discussion, you bet. It is on my walls more often than
most of my collection. I'm a big fan of Brett Weston, have been since
high school (a LONG time ago). The "funny business" with the editioning
doesn't bother me when I look at and live with the image. I own three
of his prints, this one is my favorite. But, as a collector, I would
have felt cheated monetarily if I had bought it without knowing it was
"limited" within an "unlimited printing". That is unfair to the
collector. Believe me, the gallery didn't want to own up to this. I
knew enough about Brett and his work to "call them on it" and even then
it took a while before they were honest about it. Somewhere there are a
few upset collectors who feel cheated by this "edition", and rightly
so. If Brett had labeled the back of the mat "5/45 of this size, other
sizes unlimited" more folks would feel good about collecting
photography, and the gallery would have been forced to be more honest
as well.

I'm not trying to "pick" on Brett personally (Steve, I think, lives in
Carmel as did Brett). I use him as an example of an all too common
issue because I can speak of it personally rather than abstractly.
Brett and this gallery were FAR FAR from unique in working this way,
indeed during this discussion we've heard folks asking about the
"rightness" of multiple editions based on size, medium, or mood!

Photographic editioning is distrusted in the art collector world
because too many of us have been "less than honest". My point is that
if we increase the honesty, either by full disclosure or by running
uneditioned, it will be good for all of us.

Tom Ferguson
http://www.ferguson-photo-design.com