RE: gum redevelopment

From: Keith Gerling ^lt;Keith@gumphoto.com>
Date: 07/07/04-10:44:38 PM Z

Giovanni,

My use of Clorox as it relates to that post is in a diluted form for the
purpose of affecting the last layer of gum, either to remove it, fade it, or
change the contrast. I should add that frequently I "fix" a number of
layers with the use of acrylic varnish, Krylon spray, hardened gelatin, etc.
This allows me to add further layers, and usually be able to remove said
layers without harming what is under the fixative.

As to what (I think) you are addressing, you are quite correct. Soaking a
gum photo in Clorox will usually remove the gum, the pigment, and the size.
I've also found that Clorox will remove whatever quality in the paper that
makes it water resistant. Meaning it tends to get really soft and prone to
tearing.

Keith