Re: Editioning ... and Unique Works of Art

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 07/08/04-07:10:16 PM Z

From: Tom Ferguson <tomf2468@pipeline.com>
Subject: Re: Editioning ... and Unique Works of Art
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 10:16:56 -0700

> I had always though the "edition" would be a good thing for me (on a
> personal level). Not that I had much choice, as Mark suggested, early
> on galleries "insisted" I edition my work. I had always said to myself
> "I don't want to still be printing this same image in 30 years". I now
> have one edition "done" (not completely sold out, but all 25 either
> sold or sitting in a gallery) and two others very close to done (either
> sold, at a gallery, or sitting already printed on my shelf). It feels
> "odd" and "unpleasant" to be "not allowed" to make them anymore!

I've seen a system (though infrequently) that increases the price as
more prints are sold. The initial price for the image "trash on a
street" is q dollars. First N prints will be sold at $q. Next N prints
will be sold at $cq where c > 1. Next N prints will be sold at $c^2q,
and so forth. Say c = 1.25. By the time the 25th print is sold, the
price of "trash on a street" will be about 3x the original price. If
this is not good enough, you can also factor in inflation, market
price for silver nitrate, a really good Port or something.

> I too have prints from friends that I enjoy greatly. But, I would like
> to put in a word for collecting. If someone really loves "Photographic
> Art" (as oppose to the act of photographing) I can't understand not at
> least "wanting" to live with some of the masters. Photographic art is
> still the "deal" of the art world. You can buy a Bresson or Capanegro
> or Brett Weston for what most folks pay for a new sofa. You can buy a
> Burkholder or Enfield or Arentz for the price of a new chair.

No thanks, I have photographic memory of images I like :-)