Re: scanning 35mm film as a contact sheet

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 07/10/04-12:53:07 PM Z

From: Carmen Lizardo <carmenlizardo@yahoo.com>
Subject: scanning 35mm film as a contact sheet
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 10:58:00 -0700 (PDT)

> i was wondering if anyone knows a way of scanning a
> whole roll 35mm film cut into 6 strips. I would like
> to make digital contact sheets from my negs. (it
> would be great not to have to sep up the darkroom just
> for that) My scanner is the epson perfection 3200, and
> i can only scan two strips at once, it only came with
> 2 film holders. do i have the worng scanner?

My old scanner, Epson Expression 1600 with a light box for
transparency original (I think it was sold as Artist version) I can
scan transparency of the entire scanner area (a bit bigger than legal,
I think). So scanning a whole PrintFile page for proofing is easy,
though I have so many negatives that I didn't file away as I shot and
I mostly go by my mental index and a loupe. (the problem is that
loupe is very fatigue-prone.)

Many newer flatbed scanners have limited size of transparency light
area, often just enough for 4x5's or 5x7's. Old plate sizes are all
but forgotten.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"You have to realize that junk is not the problem in and of itself.