Re: Inkjet Transparencies Scratching

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@uslink.net>
Date: 07/10/04-02:01:38 PM Z

I'm using the C-84 and after splitting channels to RGB negs, I print them as
is (they're BW printed with colored inks). They have plenty of density for
gum (thanks, Don Bryant, for the cheap C84 connection!). I could not get
the driver to print them in just BW ink unless I was in (I think I remember
correctly) matte paper setting. I was comparing to the 2200, so I just used
my 2200 curve, and it worked great--a bit more contrasty with the C84, which
is fine. But this is gum, not platinum :) (oh, also it is cyanotype, too.)
Chris

> The Dura-Brite pigmented inks of the Epson C-84 have a lot of actinic
> filtration (quite a bit more than the 2200) so one could in theory
> make good negatives for alternative processes using either colorized
> negatives or negatives made with just the black inks. I would
> recommend trying the black pigmented inks first because they will
> give you a visual reference to density and contrast.
>
> I can not comment further on making colorized negatives with this
> printer because I am currently beta testing the material in Mark
> Nelson's soon (hopefully) to be released tome on making Precision
> Digital Negatives.
>
> To this point I would comment that the results I have seen from
> Mark's method using the Epson 2200, in both alternative and silver
> printing, are nothing short of amazing. The C-84 also gives good
> results, but my results so far have resulted in a slightly grainer
> image than with the 2200.
>
> My advice is get your order in early to Mark. This could become the
> new bible for making digital negatives, whether for silver printing
> or alternative work.
>

> Sandy King
>

> >on 7/9/04 10:01 PM, Sandy King at sanking@clemson.edu wrote:
> >

> >> Hi Jon,
> >>
> >> I have not had any problem with scratching or abrasion in making
> >> inkjet negatives on Pictorio with the Epson 2000P, 2200 and C-84. I
> >> simply handle the negatives with reasonable care and have never had a
> >> problem.
> >>
> >> Since the Epson 7600 is supposed to use the same inks as the 2200 I
> >> am wondering if perhaps the AccuArt2 material is not Pictorico?
> >>
> >> Sandy King
> >
> >To Sandy, a different question. When you make negatives on the Epson
C-84,