Re: If I were to custom-make plate holders, would you buy them?

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 07/13/04-09:44:19 AM Z

Apparently I missed the previous plate holder thread. My camera is
designed for 6.5 by 8.5 inch plates and I have a few holders (double
sided) so I don't have immediate desire to collect more holders, but I
have asked the same question in a Japanese darkroom mailing list a
while ago. The response there was that Mr Tachihara, who makes a line
of wood view cameras, has experience in making plate holders and he
would be most likely to accept requests for custom fabrication.

Below is of potential interest for other dry plate users.

I've looked at common names for plate sizes, but depending on the
country and era, names seem to deviate. For example, I've seen 6.5 by
8.5 inch mentioned as full plate and half plate.

When I was shopping for glass of 1.6mm thickness, plate or float, the
price was high unless I buy $500 or more of glass in one
transaction. But I found that 5x7 glass of high quality could be
purchased very inexpensively as framing material. Also, 5x7 enlargers
are common but 6.5 by 8.5 enlargers aren't (practically speaking an
8x10 enlarger is required). For all these reasons I downsized to
5x7. (My enlarger can do only 5x7 or smaller.)

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"You have to realize that junk is not the problem in and of itself.