Re: Pyrocat-HD benzotriazole

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 07/20/04-07:57:48 AM Z

Jacques,

Practice trumps theory. I have also read in several authoritative
sources that bromide does not restrain phenidione. I can only
conclude that the studies that came to this conclusion were based on
formulas in which phenidone was compared on its own or in
superadditive formulas involving a reducer other than pyrocatechin.
Regardless of theory the addition of a small amount of phenidone in
the Pyrocat-HD formula has a significant restraining impact on
phenidoine.

However,there is more. I have also experimented with using restrainer
in asuperadditive combination of ascorbic acid + phenidone, and
bromide restrains the phenidione in this formula as well. So much for
the books.

However, benzotriazole will also work. In fact, it is an even more
effective restrainer than bromide in the Pyrocat-HD formula. You will
need to use quite a bit less of it than bromide to get the same
effect, perhaps as little as 1/10 the amount, but in the end both
will work just as well.

Sandy King