Re: typeface to go with photographs of various kinds

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 07/26/04-10:28:33 PM Z

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Jonathan Taylor wrote:
> ....Times is a special
> case; it's a competent design that IMHO should be obliterated and removed
> from all possibility of future use. Times was designed to be used in small
> sizes (9 & 10 pt) on low-quality bleed-prone newsprint. Outside of that
> context, it's bland and characterless.....

Times is boring and unbeautiful, but useful, sometimes necessary, which
may be why it survives.

When space was tight (as it usually was), I often tried the same copy in
different faces. Times was generally the most legible in the smallest
space -- letting me add leading, which, IME, does more for reading
ease than elegant letter shapes. Adobe Garamond is similarly space
saving (and prettier) --- but possibly too fine, depending on print
medium.

Offset printing has enough dot gain to save it, even when it looks faint
in the laser proof.

Judy