Re: typeface to go with photographs of various kinds

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 07/29/04-05:45:46 AM Z

The reason I started this thread is to think about factors that should
connect between pictures and letters. Obviously, there are many kinds
of pictures and many typefaces. Otherwise there wouldn't be a place
for such a question.

For photography, I consider factors like:

- process
  b&w photography as we practice is a 19th century thing
  color and digital are 20/21st century thing
  silver gelatin (among others) is an English technology
  in contrast, Daguerre (among others) is a French technology
  film is an American technology
  but if you use commercial material these may not matter at all

- subject
  obviously if the subject expresses the notion of time it is probably
  stronger than that implied by the process

- print's quality
  if the print has nothing to do with sharp, contrasty, formal look,
  it may not go well with types that have pronounced bracketed serifs
  with high stroke contrast... etc. but Kris Erickson had success
  combining photograms with such a font.

- texture
  Kris Erickson brought up that the texture of brush coated material
  goes well with bandwritten letters.

Other criteria like readability, avoiding those overwhelming the
photographs, etc. still leave a lot of options for these factors,
after which there are probably still lots of room for personal
preference.