Re: a chemistry question about salt prints

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 06/04/04-02:34:36 PM Z

From: wrleigh@att.net
Subject: a chemistry question about salt prints
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 13:36:25 +0000

> Purely out of curiosity, does anyone know what form of silver makes
  the image of a salt print? Is it elemental silver particles that
  appear different shades of brown due to their size, or is it a
  silver compound?

Until it is toned, what is visible is metallic silver.

> Also, the color seems to be affected by the specific paper that I
  have used. What causes this?

Depending on what's in the paper, but I think that sort of thing is
generally difficult to figure out exactly what is doing what.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"You have to realize that junk is not the problem in and of itself.