Re: Liquid Emulsion

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 06/05/04-06:20:30 PM Z

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 Ritab19106@aol.com wrote:
> ....I had hoped to tone the prints, so avoiding
> hardener would be preferable.

Rita,

I don't know about toning Liquid Emulsion, but my experience is that the
story about photographs with hardener in the fix not toning well is
ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE MYTHS !!!

That is, I used to do toning workshops in other people's photography
classes: The students would bring their previously printed photographs to
tone -- all of which had ALWAYS been fixed in hardening fix. I never once
saw any problem or failure to tone or anything else that could have been
due to the hardener. It's true that I never did a strictly controlled
test -- toning a print with hardener and one without side by side to check
for difference -- but there didn't seem any call for it.

Depending on the substrate, however, I understand that toning liquid
emulsion can be trickier -- it might in fact be *better* with hardener in
the fix..

Judy