Re: Imacon dust

From: Ender100@aol.com
Date: 06/06/04-02:54:52 PM Z

Eric & Jack,

I'm using an Imacon 848 and the biggest problem seems to be with the larger
negatives like 5x7 and 4x5—more surface area. I've often wondered if there
couldn't be a way to give the negatives a "charge" so that they would repel
dust. I have little problem with medium format and 35 mm (most of my work is 35
mm). I keep all my own negatives in sleeves and they are very clean and
require very little touch up. I usually do that with the healing brush and
occasionally the dust and scratches filter combined with the History Brush. I
don't like to use global dust & scratch removal filters or plugins because they
destroy too much fine detail.

Some negatives I get for custom scanning or scanning & making digital
negatives come in looking like they have been stored on the darkroom floor. These
I consider restoration jobs. I've actually been able to identify the style of
Nike's one photographer wears by the footprint on 6x7 negatives ;)

Mark Nelson
www.precisiondigitalnegatives.com