Re: and histograms Re: 5 Digital Camera Questions

From: Peter Marshall ^lt;petermarshall@cix.co.uk>
Date: 06/11/04-04:08:12 PM Z

Hi,

I've been using a Nikon D100 for around 18 months now, and some 30,000
exposures on I certainly think the advantages outweigh the problems. If
the E10 doesn't deliver you need to look at a camera such as the Nikon D70
or Olympus E1.

You can read some of the conclusions I've come to over that time in the
various features on About Photography - and see some of the results in 'My
London Diary' though you will need to imagine the great colour prints at
around 15x10" this system produces. I've put in them in a couple of shows
so far.

Raw is a great advantage, and the software I've been happiest using with
this is Capture One. You do need to expose carefully - basically to make
sure you don't overexpose the highlights but peg them as close as possible
to the top end of the histogram.

The most obvious advantages are in low light (I've had to do a certain
amount of hat eating about this.) I shot some stuff at a festival in tents
dimly lit by sunlight through coloured canvas a couple of weeks back. Very
little light, so working at ISO1600. The results were pretty good straight
from Capture One, but with a little tweaking in Neat Image to reduce noise
and Curvemeister to adjust for the blue light they look like they were
shot in good daylight. I've taken handheld shots in London at night that
are pretty good too, and other things I couldn't have done on film. Flash
is so much easier when you can see the results immediately. I did some
images of Christmas lights that were very tricky and I don't think I could
have managed on film, and so on.

As I said, there is more about most of these things - including features
on how to use raw, exposure, reviews of Curvemeister and Neat Image (Noise
Ninja is a good alternative too) and more on the site.

Digital has altered the way I do a lot of work, but I'm still shooting
film as well. Not because film is better than digital, but because they
don't yet make digital cameras that do some of the things I like to do
with film.

Regards

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/