RE: Foxlee Gum Process

From: HairlossTalk Store ^lt;shop@hairlosstalk.com>
Date: 06/25/04-01:51:51 PM Z

-----Original Message-----
From: Katharine Thayer [mailto:kthayer@pacifier.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2004 11:56 AM
To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
Subject: Re: Foxlee Gum Process

Dave Soemarko wrote:

> Or put it differently, what Marion did was basically a "dye transfer,"
> with the following exception:
>
> 1. A dicrhomated gelatin sheet, instead of a bleached bromide print,
> was used as the matrix.
> 2. Dicrhomate, instead of dye, was transferred to the second gelatin.
> 3. It was done in "dry" state rather than wet state, but gelatin can
> retain moisture.

and

Dave Soemarko wrote:

> And I am thinking that it works similar to dye transfer, since the
> first gelatin sheet is hardened proportional (from the top), the
> dichromate will get into the 2nd gelatin sheet in proportional thickness
as well.

Dave and all,
I think this is where the dialogue foundered, on the assumption that this is
like dye transfer. I've just found my book on color photography and read
the section on dye transfer, and I can't think of any way that what Marion
did could reasonably be called "basically a dye transfer" or more generally,
of any way that dye transfer provides a useful analogy for what we're
talking about here. This just reinforces my earlier suspicion that we're
talking about completely different things that don't have any necessary
logical connection to each other.

Katharine