PT/PD and humidity redux

From: Ender100@aol.com
Date: 03/01/04-11:17:13 PM Z

I had an interesting experience the other night—but I won't go into that.

However, earlier that same day, I was printing PT/PD using the Na2
method/chart that Dick Arentz has on his website. Using Palladium and his Love Potion
#5, Cranes Platinotype, pre-humidifying the paper as I usually do, coating in
60% humidity with my trusty magic brush, air drying the coated paper for about
20 minutes, then exposing on the Nuarc for the standard printing time for
that contrast mix, and wearing my lucky shorts with a panorama of Moonlight Over
Hernandez printed on them (I think I got them at the MOPA gift shop)—I got the
density range on the Stouffer step tablet as predicted for this contrast mix.

I did a second printing to verify something and for the hell of it, after the
coated paper had dried for 20 minutes, I gave it another shot of humidity for
2 minutes just before printing. The results were surprising to me. The
tonal range stretched an additional log .35, or over a full stop on the same
Stouffer step tablet. The DMax remained the same—about 1.33 and I was still
getting true paper white with no fog.

Has anyone else had this experience? Did you smoke a cigarette afterwards?

Mark Nelson

PS: I have this cool futuristic stop watch I time everything with—I keep it
hanging from a loop around my neck for easy access. The other day I had to
mail something at the post office and I forgot to take it off. When I got to
the desk, the postal clerk looked at me and then the stop watch and asked "are
you timing us?" hehehehe

PPS: Is it "step tablet" or "steptablet". Or "step wedge"? I know what a
"Step Wedgie" is.... but then we're back to talking about my lucky Ansel
Shorts again.