new work: chemigram transfers to polymer photogravure

From: Jon Lybrook ^lt;jon@terabear.com>
Date: 03/05/04-05:00:10 PM Z

Hi All,

My work is taking a departure from the cool serendipidy of chromoskadesic
effects (the pastel colors apparent in B&W media when making chemigrams). I
decided I wanted more control over coloration, but keep the forms and textures.
  Having finally gotten an answer as to how the colors actually happen with
chemigrams thanks to Polli Marriner's research, and inspired by David Hoptman's
presentation on Polymer Photogravure at APIS last summer, I've started work on
transferring chemigrams to polymer plates.

After burning a dozen plates and making several dozen prints, (some interesting
enough, most horrible, some in black and white, some in color) I've started to
have some success.

The only one I've got to show now can be seen here:
http://lytescapes.com/thejourneycontinues.jpg

The image is from a cropped area (about 1" high) from a high-rez scan of 4x5
chemigram on ortho-litho film. The plate is 4x5 and is made without any
aquatint screen, from an inkjet transparency, and hand-colored (a la poupee
using cardboard cards and Q-tips) directly on the plate. I've been getting the
solid colors by packing the ink into the open bite areas, which were
unintentional at first, but I think I like them. Softer tones were achieved by
adding plate oil to the inks for increased transparency.

In case it has to be said, kindly worded constructive criticism is always welcomed!

Look forward to hearing your responses. Have a great weekend.

Jon