Re: kallytype

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 03/11/04-11:50:08 PM Z

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Kate Mahoney wrote:

> Are you sure you can't buy tartaric acid at your grocery store? I seem to
> remember using it in the kitchen in the distant past.....little boxes, maybe
> 50gr at a time.....I'll check next time I'm in there :)
> Kate

It's Cream of Tartar, I believe, and recipes used to call for it in
meringues, the theory being that it kept them from falling. But in truth
if you beat them with an electric mixer they'd stay up OK... and the Cream
of Tartar almost certainly had other ingredients (starch? and/or?) that
would throw your emulsion and/or your measurements off.

J.