Re: Two methods of sensitizing for Direct Carbon

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 03/13/04-07:53:42 PM Z

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 Grafist@aol.com wrote:

> One. For Direct Carbon which resembles the gum process the sensitizer
> is mixed in with the colloid on coating. Am I correct in assuming that a
> pure gum + pigment coat cannot be sensitized after drying....the gum
> would be washed away by the dichromate? (Judy ??)

They say that John, just like they say a lot of other things. But not so.
You could make the dichromate solution very cold, so that by the time it
started to dissolve the gum it would be done -- before exposure anyway
it's not so serious if you have a little blurring; it dries solid again.

Another way would be to spray the dichromate solution on (as shown in a
couple of articles in the teens), or even (maybe I'm inventing this but it
could probably be done) saturating a mat or paper of some sort & laying it
on.

But what WAS done fairly often was sensitize from the back. I don't
remember if that was done with another sheet or by floating in the
solution or by brushing the solution on from the back (buckle brush) --
probably all. So the answer to your question looks like not so. I'm
having a vague memory now also of something in one of the old books (Photo
Aquatint? One of them...) about a big discovery of applying the gum &
sensitizer separately and finding it was a lot faster, but then in the
next chapter they took it back; it wasn't faster after all.)

But I'd bet one million (no, make that two million) dollars the idea that
it COULDN'T be done was used as rationale for something else.

J.