Re: Melinex

From: Grafist@aol.com
Date: 03/15/04-02:38:11 AM Z

In a message dated 14/03/04 23:39:38 GMT Standard Time, gnored@centurytel.net
writes:

> Sorry ... this is getting way OT. But it does *seem* that some of these
> materials might be useful in some alt-processes, as long as the chemistry
> in the dye-receiving layer is compatible, you want a glossy surface and/or

          Hi All ,and thanks Gary for trying to clarify the use of this
material. Where can I buy some? (Anyone?) For the I.C.I. system I dont think
"glossy" is what people are looking for but a new Fressonesque look which is not
flat black might be interesting.

> transparent/translucent, flexible base, you can apply your chemistry
> without dislodging material from the dye-receiving layer, the gods are
> smiling, the phase of the moon is right, the ......
             I would guess that Direct Carbon is more mechanical i.e. to do
with building a pigment layer, rather than making an image with metalic oxides.
I.C.I does depend on the base layer of gelatine mix remaining securely stuck
to the paper( or whatever) support as the latent image is formed in this
layer though is not made visible until pigment has been imbibed into it by the
action of the dichromated colloid having been hardened by the UV exposure.
         If the gods are smiling, OK. If they start to laugh..........?? Just
wait for the phase of the moon to change.
                       Cheers. John - Photographist