Re: glutaraldehyde

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 03/17/04-01:56:21 AM Z

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, T. E. Andersen wrote:

> As a professional microscopist, I use glutaraldehyde on a regular basis.
> It's odor is different, but every bit as pungent as formalin, and all
> the same precautions should be taken.

Thank you for the very interesting brief on gultaraldehyde... Now I'm
wondering if you can answer the following -- do you know any reason why
the glutaraldehyde would be better for the purpose than formaldehyde?

The reason we changed from formaldehyde to glyoxal was that formaldehyde
became generally unavailable. My understanding is that the reason was NOT
the toxicity, that was the *pretext* -- the reason, I heard from those who
supposedly know, is that it's used in making -- maybe it was crack
cocaine, or like that.

I myself am satisfied with glyoxal, finding it much less painful to work
with than formaldehyde, and as I've mentioned, no problem with yellowing
once I started rinsing after the hardening. (Tho I don't put it in the
gelatin, only a bath afterwards).

However, for those unhappy with glyoxal... formaldehyde is available (or
was a couple of years ago) by prescription at a decent sized pharmacy. Do
you have any advice about which would be worse (or better?). My
inclination would be the formaldehyde, since it's well tested for the
purpose... at least 50 years, actually closer to 100 if I remember
correctly.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the subject...

Judy