Paraformaldehyde

From: Robkin, Eugene ^lt;erobkin@uwc.edu>
Date: 03/17/04-08:59:56 AM Z

Paraformaldehyde used to be readily available at supply stores for
recreational vehicles and trailers. It is used to sanitize septic waste
storage tanks. I haven't looked recently to see if it is still on the
shelves or if it has been replaced by something else.

How is it depolymerized. From some of the discussion it appears that
all it takes is an acid environment. Is there a path that leads
directly from the paraformaldehyde to a formalin solution of useful
concentration? Denatured alcohol is very easy to find but again I
haven't looked for methanol by itself.

I think this would be useful information.

As far as lab safety is concerned, I was taught four primary rules.

1. Protect your eyes. 2. Protect your eyes. 3. Protect your eyes.
4. Protect everything else.

E. Robkin