Re: The Great Scanner debate - round one

From: Robert Tilden ^lt;rntilden@lotus.phys.northwestern.edu>
Date: 03/22/04-09:10:39 AM Z

I own the 4870 non-pro version. I believe the difference is in the software
that comes with it. I purchased mine from NewEgg.com for ~$400 a few weeks
ago. It's worked great for me- this is the first scanner that I've owned
that's had dedicated carriers for 35mm negs (24 frames), slides (8 frames),
6x6 strips (6 frames) and 4x5 film (2 frames). This eliminates 'Newton's
Rings', since the film is slightly suspended above the glass platen. I
can't compare it with "(see above)" except to note that the resolution is a
bit higher, and to speculate that the active transparency scanning area may
be smaller on the earlier model. The 4870 also uses the 'Digital ICE'
system, which does a pretty good job of eliminating dust, scratches, and
other opaque crud. Note that since 'Digital ICE' relies on the IR
transparency of film and dye layers to work it does not function on
silver-based films.

-B

At 02:22 PM 3/19/2004, you wrote:
> 5.) Epson 4870 pro (see above) $600 (what makes it worth the
>extra $?)
> 4800x9600 dpi 12,800x12,800 interpolated
> cold cathode flourescent matrix CCD

Bob Tilden rntilden@lotus.phys.nwu.edu
High Energy Physics Group
Northwestern University