Re: glutaraldehyde and my gum prints online

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 03/26/04-12:13:38 AM Z

From: "Christina Z. Anderson" <zphoto@bellsouth.net>
Subject: glutaraldehyde and my gum prints online
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 20:42:32 -0500

> When I brushed the sizing on the paper, I did a bunch of sheets and then
> freaked because I noticed it wasn't sinking in, so I thought I had hardened
> the gelatin too much and maybe ruined the paper.

Umm... My emulsions also don't sink in the paper until they dry.

> Upon use, the paper works just fine. I coated and exposed it side by
> side, same neg, same paper, same gum mix, and I cannot tell a difference
> between the papers in looks or performance. So far, therefore, glut looks
> equally as good as glyoxal, even one layer instead of two, but as Katharine
> said a while back, how would I know, really? It *seems* to behave similarly
> to glyoxal, but that is as scientific as I can get.

I would soak a small strip of sized but uncoated paper in water of
highest temperature you ever use, and try to scratch the paper surface
with fingernail. If gel's still firmly attached and not swollen too
much, it's well hardened!
(You can't tell hardening of gelatin when it's dry.)

I'll check out the website!

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"All the truth in the world adds up to one big lie." (Bob Dylan 2000)