Re: Colloid photosensitivity

From: MARTINM ^lt;martinm@SoftHome.net>
Date: 05/02/04-03:56:24 AM Z

"Do you have a reference for this, or is this
Brintzinger and Maurer 1927?"

I think it's from Glafkidès (Chimie et physique photographiques, Paris
1967). Having looked into Zelikman & Levi (Making and coating photographic
emulsions, London/New York 1964, p. 38), I found this:
"Colourless grades of gelatin transmit in all region of the visibible
spectrum; they have two absorption bands, at 274 and 254 mu, in the
ultra-violet."

"At any rate, if this is the case, the purported photosensitivity of gelatin
is curious but irrelevant to our concerns, I would say."

That was my point. However, given the large variety of gelatin to be found,
sensitivity to UV might vary from case to case. So it may well be the
possible crosslinking by UV light is actually due to traces of photoactive
"ingredients".

Martin