Sizing with unhardened gelatin

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 05/04/04-07:56:10 AM Z

Helloa All,

Probably few will be interested in this as I daresay most people who use
gelatin size just harden their size as a rule, but here goes.....

A few weeks ago there was a discussion about whether gelatin size for
gum needs to be hardened or not. I said that it seemed to me that where
there is tone, the gelatin will be hardened in the gum printing process,
and where there isn't, the unhardened gelatin could be easily removed by
pouring boiling water over it. Since I know for a fact that I can pour
boiling water over my gum prints without fazing them, and since we know
that gelatin can be hardened by a dichromated colloid process, these
suppositions seemed reasonable to me.

Curiosity finally got the best of me and I demonstrated this to myself
empirically: at least with my gum prints, it works quite well-- the
gelatin hardens where there is exposure, and is easily removed with hot
water (after the finished gum print is dry) where there isn't exposure.
I could have used boiling water; it wouldn't have hurt the gum print,
but I found that hot water out of the tap works just as well. I used
pigmented gelatin so the presence or absence of the gelatin could easily
be seen. Unfortunately I didn't think to scan the test prints while they
still had the colored gelatin on them so YOU could see the difference as
well as I could, but for whatever it's worth, I did see it with my own
eyes and am satisfied that this works quite well, with the caveat of
course that the gum must be properly hardened.

I prepared a quick webpage showing this; the visuals aren't great but I
hope the point comes across. I don't have time to redo the scans.

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/Current2.html

Katharine Thayer