Re: using powdered pigments in gum

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 05/04/04-10:14:24 AM Z

Jack Brubaker wrote:

> Thanks Katharine,
>
> I assume that when using tube color there is a preservative in the
> formulation of the product so that is adding to the preservative in the
> commercial gum.

Well, if there is I would be willing to guess that its purpose is to
preserve the gum in the tube, not the pigment. So if you're just adding
pigment to gum, I'm not sure I see why more preservative should be
needed. I hope someone who is more familiar with your gum, and with
using it with powdered pigment will weigh in. I have a vague
recollection about VARN having a pull date of about 6 months, but I
don't know if that's just the manufacturer being careful or if this
short life has been experienced in practice.
kt