Re: using powdered pigments in gum

From: Jack Brubaker ^lt;jack@jackbrubaker.com>
Date: 05/06/04-09:25:05 AM Z

Thanks to Katharine , Pete, and Chris for your reassurances that adding
pigment to gum does not normally require more preservative. I suspected that
was the case but thought it wise to check before I tried again (some with
the same contaminated pigments, some with new freshly purchased pigments). I
had not had this happen before because I had never made up stock mixes to
keep around. I always mixed for the hour not to keep.

My guess is that in the rich fecundity of the forest around me there are
many yeasty and fungal creatures floating in the air that got into the old
pigments when the containers broke down with age (I first became aware that
the tubular cardboard cartons must be in trouble when a cat showed up with
thalo green on it, but that's another story).

Thanks again,

Jack