Re: Tanning theory of dichromated colloids (was gelatin

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 05/16/04-09:07:02 AM Z

MARTINM wrote:

> I guess the EDTA thing goes back to Oster & Oster who pointed out that EDTA
> interfered with the crosslinking action of Cr(III). That was in the context
> of
> dye sensitized DCG.

So in this case they knew they already had Cr(III) but the EDTA
inhibited the crosslinking?

> "Duncan & Dunn also suggest that their observations rule out the
> possibility of free radical (polymer) intermediates, but Mannivannan et
> al show clearly the presence of such an intermediate."
>
> That's interesting. I wonder whether its (the free radical's) action would
> be sufficient for certain monomers to initiate polymerization.

My chemist friend, after reading Mannivannan et al last weekend, said
that the formation of a polymer radical suggests to him that once the
radical is formed (by transferring electron to chromium) then it could
start a series of reactions among the gum molecules to effect the
hardening without further chromium being required. I didn't completely
understand what he was saying so I haven't incorporated it into my
thinking. But is this what you're talking about?

> Incidentally, Sasaki, Honda, Kichuchi (Studies on photosensitive dichromated
> materials, Tokyo 1979)

This is a book? Is it in English?

suggest possible intermediate Cr(V) or Cr(IV)
> formation upon photoreduction of HCrO4 to Cr(III).

Mannivannan et al (1993) say Cr(V) but not Cr(IV), in their
investigation of dichromated PVA.

Thanks for the dialogue,
Katharine