Re: A kallitype gallery

From: Mike Klemmer ^lt;mklemmer@comcast.net>
Date: 05/17/04-07:51:37 PM Z

Re: A kallitype galleryHi Sandy,

In order to tone properly first and foremost the print must be completely fixed and clear of residual fixer. I usually do the toning after the hypo treatment and a 30 minute water wash.

I've been using Kodak Rapid Selenium with a dilution of 10 gms./1liter. Four or more 8x10 prints can be toned with about 1.5 liters of toner at this dilution. I do not tone longer than 5 minutes with constant agitation. The print will turn a nice dark stained oak color during this period. Longer toning can cause a reversion back to a lighter brown color and possibly some bleaching of the shadows.

Toning with stronger solutions of Kodak Rapid Selenium is not recommended for kallitypes, as rapid bleaching is possible.

Also - I've optimized my negative curve for the selenium toning as well.

Regards,

Michael